Risotto Allo Zafferano
by Mark Prescott
A dish historically linked with the city of Milan in northern Italy, featuring some healthy Season-Fresh Greens and Manchego Cheese.
- INGREDIENTS TO GET READY
- 400g Bomba Rice
- 1.2 Litres Vegetable Stock
- 2 x Medium Onions (Finely Chopped)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Saffron Strands (or 1 x Teaspoon Turmeric)
- 4x dessert spoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 200ml Berceo Tempranillo Blanca
- 100ml Creme Fraiche
- 100g Crumbled Manchego Cheese
- Salt & White Pepper
- 240g Summer Greens of your choice. I used New Season English Asparagus, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Wild Rocket.
- PUT IT TOGETHER
- 1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, slowly cook the chopped onions without colour in the Olive Oil. Add the Bomba Rice and cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring constantly, add the white wine to the rice allow to reduce by half
- 2. Add the saffron and a couple of ladles of hot stock, add a ladle of stock each time the previous stock has absorbed, only stir the rice when adding stock
- 3. The rice should take around 15 minutes to cook and still have a slight bite, you may not need all the stock
- 4. Remove the rice from the heat add the creme fraiche and Manchego crumb, season with salt and pepper
- 5. Blanch your chosen vegetables in rapidly boiling salted water for a couple of minutes, drain and season. Add the rice to a serving bowl, place the vegetables in the center of the rice, garnish with pea shoots and enjoy a taste of northern Italy!
Recipe Cuisine: Mediterranean