Spiced Roast Pumpkin Soup with Paprika Creme Fraiche
by Mark Prescott
Pumpkin soup is one of my favourite soups it’s always silky smooth and the saffron gives it elegance and deep rich colour. When I worked at Marchesi in Milan we served pumpkin soup with fresh white truffles shaved at the table a shoot of Arametto and fresh Ameretto macaroons it was a glorious beautiful dish, if I close my eyes and think back I can still taste and smell the amazing aroma. I savour those kinds of memories of truly inspired dishes.
- INGREDIENTS TO GET READY
- 1 x Pumpkin 1.2kg
- 200ml x Chilli Infused Olive Oil
- 1 x Pinch Dried Chilli Flakes
- 5g x Corriander Seeds
- 6 x Cloves Garlic
- 2 x Medium Onions
- 4 x Sticks Celery
- 1 x Red Chilli
- 2x Carrots
- 1x Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 x Pinch Saffron
- 2l x Vegetable Stock
- 4 x Fresh Bay leaves
- 100ml x Harissa sauce
- PUT IT TOGETHER
- 1. Seeds from the Pumpkin well washed and dried. Place in a mixing bowl and mix with a Dessertspoon of paprika, a pinch of cinnamon, 20g of caster sugar and a glut of garlic-infused oil, place on parchment in a preheated oven 180oc for 20 mins until golden brown and crispy.
- 2. With a very sharp knife peel, the Pumpkin cut in half and remove any seeds and strings (wash the seeds in warm water until they are clean and free from any silk, dry and retain for garnish)
- 3. Cut the Pumpkin in approximately 10 segments place on a baking tray, drizzle with chilli oil and roast until soft and golden brown in a preheated oven 180oc for around 30 minutes.
- 4. In a deep saucepan add the remaining chilli oil and cook the chopped mirepoix of onions, celery, carrots and garlic until soft and golden brown, add the Saffron, chilli, bay leaf, paprika and chilli flakes, mix well, add the roasted pumpkin segments, cover with the stock and Harissa and simmer for 40minutes.
- 5. Once cooked blitz until silky smooth in a liquidiser and pass through a fine chinois.
- 6. As Halloween approached we served our soup in small pumpkins, garnish with a few drops of Harissa, paprika creme fraiche and roasted seeds and chickpeas.
Recipe Cuisine: Mediterranean