Salt & Pepper Prawns in Overcoats (Gambas A La Gabardina)
These tasty Prawns go perfectly with chilled ice-cold, beer, and can be whipped up in minutes. The batter will be crisp and the prawns tender and juicy inside. The salt and pepper mix just lifts the prawns to another level. You will always want more so be greedy and dip in aioli or a spicy harrisa mayonnaise.
- INGREDIENTS TO GET READY
- 300g x Large peeled king prawns
- 150g x Plain flour
- 1 x Teaspoon baking powder
- Generous pinch of salt
- 20g x Chinese salt & pepper mix
- Generous pinch of paprika
- 250 ml x Chilled beer
- 1x Lemon (cut in half)
- Oil for frying
- PUT IT TOGETHER
- 1. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and paprika into a bowl. Mix well and add the beer, mix well and allow to rest for 10 minutes or so.
- 2. In a deep-sided pan heat the oil to180oc, add half the salt & pepper mix to the batter, and mix along with the paprika
- 3. Pass the prawns through the flour so they are lightly coated. Dip the prawns in the batter, cook until crisp and golden brown, drain on kitchen paper, and dust with the remaining salt and pepper mix. Serve with squeezing lemon.
Recipe Cuisine: Mediterranean