Bomba Rice Soup with Saffron Chicken and Red Peppers
by Mark Prescott
This is a hearty winter soup, the addition of the garlic paste, compliments the rice sweetness and richness of the saffron, a very satisfying winter dinner, don’t bank on there being any leftovers.
- INGREDIENTS TO GET READY
- 60ml x Garlic infused olive oil
- 500g x Skinless boned chicken thighs (cut each into 4)
- 2x Onions (finely chopped)
- 2 x Romano peppers (seeded & finely sliced)
- 2 x Large round vine tomatoes (deseeded & diced)
- 100ml x Dry sherry
- 2l x Hot Chicken stock
- 2g x Saffron strands
- 20g x Parsley
- 80g x Garlic cloves (smash & chop)
- 200g x Bomba rice
- Salt & pepper
- 100g x Piquillo peppers in garlic
- PUT IT TOGETHER
- 1. Heat 20ml of garlic oil in a large saucepan, generously season the chicken, brown on all sides, drain and set aside.
- 2. Heat 20ml of oil in the same pan and add the chopped onion and peppers, soften until golden brown and deglaze with the sherry, add the chicken back into the pan add the saffron, and hot stock and bring to a gentle simmer, turn to low heat and cook for approximately 15 minutes.
- 3. Pound the garlic and parsley using a mortar and pestle to make a thick paste, add half the paste to the soup and add the rice, allow to simmer for 20minutes until the rice is al dente, season to taste, add the piquillo peppers, and chopped tomatoes, and serve immediately with the remaining garlic and parsley paste and lots of crisp warm bread.
Recipe Cuisine: Mediterranean