Green Rice with Clams and Toasted Cob Nuts
This delicious Autumn dish is very popular in the Basque region of Spain, and I would advise lots of hot crusty bread to mop up the delicious juices, obviously don’t forget the Chilled white wine. Delicious at any time of day!
- INGREDIENTS TO GET READY
- 500g x Venus Clams (washed and filtered)
- 125g x Bomba Rice
- 400ml x Fish or Vegetable Stock
- 20g x Curley Parsley (finely chopped)
- 20g x Corriander (finely chopped)
- 2x Large Cloves of Garlic (smashed & chopped)
- 4x Large Spring Onions (very finely sliced)
- Juice and Zest of one Lemon
- 1 x Green Chilli (very finely diced)
- 100g x Salted Butter (optional)
- 100mlx Olive oil
- 2 x Large Banana Shallots (finely chopped)
- 50ml x Dry white wine
- 80g x Fresh Toasted Cob Nuts (grated)
- PUT IT TOGETHER
- 1. Heat approximately 50ml of oil in a saucepan, add half the garlic and half the shallots cook gently for 2 to 3 minutes until soft, add the clams, white wine and cover with a lid cook for around 3 minutes until all the clams have opened (discarding any shells which do not open) strain and reserve the cooking liquid, and set the clams to one side.
- 2. Heat the remaining oil to a saucepan add the rice and scald without colour for a couple of minutes, add the remaining garlic, shallots, add the clam liquid, and stock and simmer gently for 15/20 minutes, add the clams and butter to the pan stir well and finish by adding the chopped herbs, diced chilli and lemon juice and zest, sprinkle with the spring onions and serve at once, topping with the grated Cobnuts.
Recipe Cuisine: American