by Mark Prescott
This is a lighter version of the deep fried American classic which I first had in New York 10 years ago awesome but oily, great beer food and so tasty yet so simple.
- INGREDIENTS TO GET READY
- 4 x Large Spanish Onions
- 4 x Egg Whites
- 160g Pandora Breadcrumbs
- 20g Polenta
- 60g Plain Flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1x Generous pinch Sweet Paprika
- Spray Oil
- Harissa Mayonnaise
- 200g Thick Mayonnaise
- PUT IT TOGETHER
- 1. Prepare the onions peel the onions from the root to the tip leaving both root and tip intact.place the onions on a flat surface and with a very sharp knife cut each onion into 8 segments to within a centimetre from the base
- 2. Gently tease the onions open into petals and place o a baking tray.
- 3. Put the egg whites into a mixing bowl and whisk till light and fluffy, mix the Panko, polenta, flour, paprika and seasoning in a separate bowl and mix well.
- 4. One at a time dip the onions into the egg white getting as much coverage as possible making sure all the petals are covered.place the onion on a baking tray and again gently open up the petals if necessary.
- 5. Once the onions have opened up sprinkle with any remaining crumb, season with salt and pepper and spray generously with oil.
- 6. Cover the tray with foil, and bake in a pre heated oven 160c for 20 minutes.
- 7. Remove the tray from the oven ,remove foil .and encourage the petals to open if needed.bake uncovered for a further 20 minutes until the onions are soft and sweet but very crispy. Serve with copious amounts of Harissa mayonnaise to dip.
Recipe Cuisine: Mediterranean