Risotto allo Zafferano is historically linked with the city of Milan in northern Italy. When I worked for Gualtiero Marchesi in Milan, one of his most famous signature dishes was a plain saffron risotto topped with a single sheet of Gold Leaf! Stunning.
Saffron Risotto with Summer Greens and Pea Shoots. Enjoy!
- INGREDIENTS TO GET READY
- 400g Bomba Rice Add to Cart
- 1.2 Litres Vegetable Stock
- 2 x Medium Onions (Finely Chopped)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Saffron Strands (or 1 x Teaspoon Tumeric)
- 4x dessert spoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 200ml Berceo Tempranillo Blanca
- 100ml Creme Fraiche
- 100g Crumbled Manchego Cheese
- Salt & White Pepper
- 240g Summer Greens of your choice, I used New Season English Asparagus, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Wild Rocket.
- HOW TO MAKE ARANCINI
- 1. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, slowly cook the chopped onions without colour in the Olive Oil. Add the Bomba Rice and cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring constantly, add the white wine to the rice allow to reduce by half.
- 2. Add the saffron and a couple of ladles of hot stock, add a ladle of stock each time the previous stock has absorbed, only stir the rice when adding stock.
- 3. The rice should take around 15 minutes to cook and still have a slight bite, you may not need all the stock.
- 4. Remove the rice from the heat add the creme fraiche and Manchego crumb, season with salt and pepper.
- 5. Blanch your chosen vegetables in rapidly boiling salted water for a couple of minutes, drain and season. Add the rice to a serving bowl, place the vegetables in the center of the rice, garnish with peashoots and enjoy a taste of northern Italy!